San Diego, California, has been my home for three months now. I can hardly believe it! I’ve done more in that time than some people do in years, because I feel like every weekend is a vacation. My hardest decision has been, do I go to the beach, or hike a mountain?!
Here are some of the places I’ve been:
- Torrey Pines State Park is famous for its view of the ocean. I scrambled down a steep path (I would say, “hiked,” but I wasn’t that graceful) to the water. Still, I wasn’t impressed. Sorry, California, but it was just a walk, which I can do anywhere.
- Black Mountain was better. Sally & Penny joined me for this one, back in December.
- Iron Mountain was better still! I’m hitting it again today, because it kicked my ass last time. In a good way.
- Woodson Mountain was another good hike.
- Little Italy, a neighborhood in downtown, was my home for two months. The food was superb and I love how walk-able the area is! The farmer’s market on Cedar Street is open every Saturday; if you get a chance, go! Buy some fresh fish or a tie-dyed shirt. Or maybe some beef jerky.
- Gas Lamp District is a famous neighborhood downtown. It’s full of clubs and bars; I visited during the day and said, “Reminds me of Austin’s 6th”
- La Jolla has some beautiful beaches. And sea lions. And a Dr. Suess Museum! It’s a magical place.
- I took Gary Mathews there and he didn’t want to leave. I spent 20 minutes pushing him into his rental car.
- Los Angeles is a two-hour drive, so I visited it, too. It’s crowded, dirty, and the beaches aren’t as nice.
- Walking around the neighborhood checking out the area, a nice old man approached me. He was well dressed with a friendly smile, so I thought it was nice when hugged me and said that I was perfect. “Oh, your boyfriend is so blessed to have you! If you have one, that is,” he told me, then proceeded to kiss my neck. Seriously, two seconds after I met him, he’s sexually assaulting me on the street, on a Sunday afternoon, in broad daylight. THAT’S L.A.
- Exception: my darling, talented, beautiful friend Amy Arrow lives there. She’s an artist actor and an amazing person. If you ever get to see her in a movie or in person, do it!
- Fashion Valley is a huge mall. One of my friends invited me to go shop there; I was so excited that a handsome man wanted my opinion on his pants, that I jumped at the chance. After sitting in traffic, then circling the parking lot for 20 minutes, I realized that it was Christmas Eve. DOH!
- The mall is open air, which means that shoppers walk on the sidewalk outside to get to the stores. Why? Because the weather here is so perfect so much of the time that you don’t need a roof over your head!
- We saw “Rogue One” at the theater there. Although I hated the ending (he said that it fit), the movie was awesome!
As beautiful as it is here, it is definitely not Texas. As I said in my last post, people don’t greet each other here like they do back home. However, once I get a person talking, they are just as nice as anyone from the South. It became a game to me, to see how many people I can get to smile and say, “Hi,” in the hall at work. More and more are coming around. My first week here, I made some new friends, and invited Heather and Heather over to watch the movie, “Heathers” (Winona Ryder and Christian Slader, 1998).
I visited Dallas a couple of weeks ago and saw as many friends as possible: Allie Apple, my sister & nieces, Elizabeth & Daniel & their darling children, Therese, Gabby Gumbo, and Andrew. Each one is precious to me. Visiting them was visiting home; spending time with them was like a shower to my soul.
Allie and I went to Billy Bob’s Texas, the World’s Largest Honky Tonk, in Fort Worth. I’ve two-stepped there since I was 18 years old, and visiting it was like stepping back in time. Yee haw! (The cowboys are just as handsome as ever, only now they look so young !)
Next blog post: the guys I’ve met since I got here. Peeps be cray cray!
PS For more pics, follow me on Instagram (jules_strawberry_rules) or Facebook (Jules Strawberry). I also tweet, though not as often (JulesSberry).