In anticipation of the new Gilmore Girls starting soon, I’m re-watching the classic Gilmore Girls (GG). Binge watching, actually – it’s pretty addictive. And it’s eerie how much my life is like Lorelai’s, and how similar Sally is to Rory.
- My friend Kevin Kumquat is grumpy like Luke and almost as ruggedly handsome. Will we get together and subsequently break up? Stay tuned!
- My daughter and I are best friends and I tell her about every date. (I also tell you, but I tell her first.)
- Sally and I are HILARIOUS together.
- I avoid my father and step-mother like Lorelai avoids her parents. There are some pretty big differences: the Gilmores are high society and my parents are more redneck (born and raised in Louisiana, but thoroughly Texan).
- Emily Gilmore wants to be part of her daughter’s life, and my step-mother has over-stepped the line a few times trying to be part of mine. For example, she told Facebook that she was my mother, despite the fact that she had only been married to my dad for a year and I already have a mother. Thank God we don’t have Friday night dinners; Christmas dinner is often enough for me.
- Penny Pineapple, my daughter’s fiancée, looks a bit like Dean (Rory’s 1st boyfriend). If you squint. For real. They’re both while with short brown hair—practically twins.
- I’m a gorgeous single mom, just like Lorelai. Ok, so I’m half her height and my eyes are green to her blue—besides that, we could be sisters. (Just squint if you can’t see it.)
- My daughter is BRILLIANT, like Rory. Nope, MORE brilliant! Rory made a 4.0 in high school? HA! Sally made closer to 5.0, because her Advanced Placement classes grade on a 5-point scale. Rory is a journalism major in college? HA! My daughter is double-majoring in Astronomy and Physics!
- We’re all a bit competitive (see #8).
- We both went to community college at night to get degrees, followed by a ceremony where our parents attended and were disappointed. My ceremony included a group who were getting their GEDs, including several teens who sat in front of me and giggled the entire time. The. Entire. Time.
- I don’t like to cook. I can cook, and I will cook, but I must prefer using the microwave or going out, like Lorelai.
- I was a teenager when I had my first kid, just like Lorelai. (Although I was 19.5, not 16, and married. Details!)
- We’re both sarcastic as hell. No, really, we are.
- If I ate like Lorelai, I’d look like Ms. Patty!
- Lorelai can eat anything, while I can eat practically nothing. I have food intolerances: gluten, garlic, soy, dairy, etc. Thank God I can drink wine and eat cheese, otherwise I’d waste away! Seriously, thank God for wine! Actually, I think Lorelai would agree with me on this one.
- Lorelai lives in a small town, while I live in the Big City. Counter-intuitively, she knows more of her neighbors than I do.
- She’s the Owner of an Inn, while I’m a mechanical engineer. Slight differences.
- She’s fictional and I’m real, so I win!
PS Next week: Why I love dating younger men!