Should I take a vow of celibacy? Should I quit dating entirely? I mean, I was divorced 13 years ago. Maybe I’m not meant to be in a relationship. But what if my soul mate really is out there? He could be in Australia right now, hanging out with Lucas and wrestling kangaroos for fun. Then again, my favorite definition of insanity is, “Keep doing the same thing, expecting different results.” Maybe it’s time to stop dating.
- Date only the best guys. No more going out with whomever asks; no sir-ee. Even if it would be a good story. Even if, like Aladdin, he might be a “diamond in the rough.” Nope, gotta stick to The List. Unless he looks like David Tennant or Christopher Reeves in his Superman days; then all bets are off.
- Lose that last 10 lbs. I know this was on last year’s list, too. I did lose 7 lbs; just found them again. In 2015, I’ll lose them, and there will not be a Search and Rescue Mission led by Wine and Nachos. That means cutting back on the wine, and I’ll make that sacrifice.
- Cut back on wine. Ok, need to make this a measurable goal. Wine only once a week. Hmm, need to make a reasonable goal. Wine only twice a week.
- Workout more. Again, goals need to be measurable. Workout 6 times a week. Note to self: buy Advil.
- Pay off those credit cards. To meet this goal, I need to stay out of the Dallas Galleria, even and ESPECIALLY when Steve Madden has sales. (Don’t take it personally, Steve, you know I love you. My black, buckled boots are my favorites; that’s why I bought them in black and brown. They were half price, after all.) Unsubscribe from Victoria Secret’s mailing list. (Vicky, I love your semi-annual sales, but my bra drawer is full. Really, I can go a year without buying 6 new bras. I think I can, I think I can…) Avoid Ann Taylor. (Ann, my closet is full. I don’t need any new suits or cute dress pants or the best jeans ever. Really, I don’t. And don’t send me a coupon, either, because that just makes you look desperate.) I’ll miss you, old friends!
- Spend more time with friends. Just not the couples, so much, because they remind me that I’m alone. Wait, that’s over half my friend base. Ok, spend time with couples, but make sure to talk about how much I love my job and how school fills my free time. Avoid set-ups at all costs (reminder to self: Billy Ray and both my ex-husbands were blind dates).
- Finish writing Book 2. Book 1 was completed in 2009; I’ve had 5 years to work on book 2. In that time, I’ve gone through 2 major relationships (defined as a year or more each), 2 moves (local, but still significant), started 2 new jobs (one was a transfer within the same company, but a major life event nonetheless), and completed most of my master degree at 2 different universities. Wait, no wonder I haven’t had time to write. No excuses in 2015!
- Complete my master’s degree. I’m on track to finish it in December 2015; gotta make it happen! Only 1 class/semester plus research and thesis, so should be pretty easy, as grad school goes. I mean, how hard could 1 class be? Um, except my last class included quantum physics, so maybe I shouldn’t say that. Shit, I had better buy the book and start studying now.
- Hike more. It makes me happy to walk through forests and climb up hills. I should do it more, so that I’m happier. (With that kind of logic, celibacy should be off the table.)
Whew, I think that’s enough. I didn’t add a career goal, but then, I just started a new job in November.
Maybe I should swear off dating for a year. After all, Liz Gilbert took a vow of chastity for a year, and she ended up writing an award-winning book that was turned into a movie (Eat, Pray, Love). Then again, I was single for a year from September 1, 2014 to August 29, 2014 and my life hasn’t changed. Would three more days make any difference? Maybe if I traveled the world and found peace in India, in an ashram, like good ol’ Liz. Hmmm, looking back at #5 – maybe next year.
Here’s hoping that 2015 kicks 2014’s ass! Happy New Year everybody!
For more of my wisdom, follow me on Facebook or Instagram @jules_strawberry_rules .
Did you get an Amazon or Kindle gift card for Christmas? Read about Jules’ worst dates; the best of ‘em!
*The picture was taken by Sally Strawberry. I didn’t really fall, in case you were curious. I’m just a really good actor. This picture has no relation to the text; it’s just one of my favorites. Cheers!